Sunday, August 13, 2006

Utah Aug 13th

Hi Ya all,
I decided we needed the blog updated, and Chuck once again set it up so that we can tell everyone where we are at, what we are doing, and all that good stuff.
The most we have been doing is Geo Cacheing. We love this stuff as it takes us places we never would of discovered by ourselves. Place's most tourist just do not get to go.
Lucky for me, Chuck is also a very experianced 4 Wheeler. He used to belong to a club for years, so he and our trusty 4x4 dodge duelly have gotten us up hills, over sandstone mountains, and across the desert that most people only go with ATV's. I just love the look on peoples faces when we tell them where we went and they gasp with an open mouth and say "You TOOK your TRUCK there?" Yep, we did.
Unfortunally, some of the pictures I tried to take of where we were just did not come out good. Not that the camera is bad, but the perpersitive is just not there. I took a picture of us on a very narrow road with the Truck at a vertical angel (I just put the camera out the window and shot as I could NOT sit up in the seat) and the picture came out nice, but it just looked like we were skirting up a little rock hill.

This first picture is at a place called Onion Creek. The rocks are a deep purple color. I was pretty shocked to see a purple canyon. When the sun its this canyon full force, the rocks turn a deep red color.





















This was near another geo cache. It is called secret Spire. The way these rocks stay on here are amazing.



















I of course had to fondle it to see it anything else would happen to it (yeah right, like tip over) but it remainded as it was and did not move a bit.




















As hard as I tried, chuck just stood there. I could not get him to do anything I wanted him to do. Those of you who know me can just guess what I was trying to talk him into.
(Hay, that is nasty what your thinking...ever think about climbing to the top?)














This picture of me below is one of those pictures that do not do justice to where we were. My kids would NEVER of thought I would of climbed this sucker. We were HIGH. I mean, don't look down or your knees would wobble. This is near the top. Good thing I had on my spiderman cling to all sandstone shoes and my Batman sunglass's on. (I got my batman sunglasses in a cache...Iam keepin' them, they fit!!) Chuck even went a little higher than I did, but he told me not to go any higher. I think he was afraid I would not of been able to come down. Besides my spiderman tennis shoe's, and batman Sunglasses I have a sticky butt that allows me to come down any mountain face on rear power alone. Yep, I am set for climbing, not ropes needed here!!




















These are some formations of the rock in Onion Creek Canyon. Amazing how these can form like this staying in an upright position all these years while the rest of the rocks fall around them.
















These are just a few more of the formations. This was in a different canyon. We went here after a geo cache also. We had to walk on a very narrow path to get to the other side of the gorge for this cache. Wonder why Chuck did not show you all the scary path picture's?? Might be that persitive thing.

















Time and water do this to rocks that are sandstone.
















This picture below is of a hugh rock called Tomestone. I dont know if you can imagine how big this sucker is, but if you look at the base of this rock, where the straight up part starts, this is where we had to CLIMB to get a cache. It was scarey coming down.





















This was an arch at the secret spire picture towards the first of the pictures. I climbed up to look over at chuck. I wanted him to be proud of me that I will now climb rocks and go into scary places all by myself. He was not impressed, but he did use his zoom lens for this picture.















Ok, now on this picture below, do you understand now what we have been climbing??? Yes, great excerise. See, knee shakers for how high we climb.

















This picture is a beautiful sunrise that chuck shot while I was sleeping. He takes such wonderful pictures. Sometimes he will wake me for a beautiful sunrise, but not often. I think he enjoys some solitude without me yacking in his ear.














I do not know if you get the perperstive of what this is, but it is sandstone rock. That is one of the places we have taken our truck. Yeapers, straight up. Our neighbors just brought back our hub cab that we had lost on a ride a couple of days ago. Anna, she could not belive we went on such a narrow road, straight down into the river. She said it made her nervious on her ATV and could not imagine it in a truck. I am surprised chuck did not include the shot of having to use a boulder to flip the back tire on in order to get around the curve. I got out and took a shot of that trick. Must not of been a good perspective picture.















Thats my sweetie. Isnt he cute. This was at the canyon we had the narrow walk on (another knee shaker) on the side of a gorge. Very Scary for DeeDee's. Chuck is part mountain goat, the narrower the trail, the more he ignores it and just walks like it is a regular sidewalk.















This is a totally cool old cabin. It is a part sod cabin. It must of been about a hundred years old. We found this in the middle of no mans land. I could never image living in something like this with no water around. It looked like the corrals were for sheep.















This is part of a road we were on to get to that canyon below. (This is going to the canyon we lost our hub cap on) Doesn't that road look like you want to just do it at a clip of 50 miles an hour in the dark with your headlights off?? It was a pretty cool road. Like I said, I am so glad that chuck is such a good driver. It does not show how steep this road is. After these turns there are more hairpins and some on them are so steep you can not see over the cab of the truck. You just hold on and hope there is a road in front of you.















These next two pictures (read the sign if you can) is about a fur trapper. The next picture is of what he carved into a rock in the 1800's. You have to go way deep into the canyon to see this. Not many tourist get to view this need stuff. Again, we were after a Geo Cache.






























This is pretty typical of the rock formations in sandstone. It was very nice to sit under this cool rock and drink some nice cold ice water while the heat of the day makes you sweat all your fat away. I personally love spots like this and seek shade whenever I can while we hike.
















See our pretty truck. Don't you think it should be in a dodge commerical?? Than it could pay for its own fuel.
















My sweetie again. Notice I am well away from where he is standing. He will leap onto these rock ledges and tell me about the view I can not see. This is good, cause if I get any closer to the edge my stomach flops and my eyes go dizzy and I get scared rabbit syntrome. I even have my camera zoomed in out as far as it will go. He was way out there on this thing. Yes, I said he had to LEAP from one rock to another. He needs life insurance for me with BIG coverage on him.

















We had hiked (ok, I only got so far, this was one of them DeeDee only goes so far to rocks) up this hill. I was about a quarter mile up, and chuck went the rest with out me, it got way to steep. While I will sitting under my shady ledge, I took this picture. I was taking the picture because of how the rocks fall, but chuck thinks this looks like an eye and animal face. I say a frog or a lizard.
















Another picture of the canyon we drove into. Notice under those big rocks there is a little slip of a road. We were there. It actually is about a 200 foot drop from there. If you look real hard, at the bottom left you can make out one of the cars that did not make it. It fell over. There is a big flat rock and if you look directly across from it, you can make out the car body. Well this is it for now. We will blog some more after our hikes in Arches National park this week. Take care of each other and remember that money is nice, but family is a whole lot more important.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home