Monday, July 31, 2006

"Dillon Pinnicles" Hike.

Here is where we went hiking. We started out at a little after eight in the morning. I actually wanted to go around 6:30, but I did not get up by then, and Chuck did not wake me sooner, so we started a little later than planned. It was probley a good thing however as it was a bit chilly when we started our hike.

We are after this Geocache
With the way Chuck is taking this picture it looks like a little elf in a hat with that shadow.



















Up there somewhere is where we are headed. The total hike was about four miles. The first part of if started with some low rolling hills. Nice easy and pretty. As we progressed it got a bit steeper. Then more steeper. But then it sort of leveled off with walking a ways before a brief climb again. We had already hiked about 1 1/2 miles to this point.















Only 100 yards to go. Now it is as steep as a mountain goat climbs!!! I am telling you, at one point we are (for a tiny ways) hugging between a rock and climbing with feets and hands on the side of a wall. However, the drop would not of killed, so I was ok. The steep side in Colorado Srings railroad pass was a lot scaryer to me than this one. We even passed an Owl's lair. You can tell an Owl's lair cause of the discards of bones on the ground. It was pretty cool.















The picture below is a view from near our end point. Notice we say NEAR our end point. I do not know why photos do not show the prospective we see when we are sitting on a tree root looking at the bottom on what we could fall into. Yeah, it was that high. Love that tree root, even though it did put pitch on my left butt cheek. Chuck sat on a rock above me. (I was not sharing my tree root in fear I would lose my pirch and fall...all hands for themselves!! Not really, that was a joke....I would of done SOMETHING if chuck would of fell....screamed or whatever.... SOMETHING)
















Our cache was tucked away in a Pinnacle like this. No, we did not climb on of these things. Are you kidding??? Me, afried of hights climb something like this?? No ropes, cables or a mule at the top to haul me up?? We are at the bottom of these things. Pretty are they not??



















This is looking back from where we came. You see the bridge?, Well the truck is parked out of site on the left end of it.....This is what we hiked up to get here. However, those are the nice little rolling hills I was telling you about before. For some odd reason chuck did not apply the one of us climbing the steep part. Must be because he did not want you to see him all sweaty and his tongue hanging out.















This is a pretty pennicle picture. It was worth every step of the hike. It was so beautiful up there. I wanted to follow the base of the pinnicles for awhile, and Chuck indulged me until we stopped for breakfast (peanut butter and celery and water...gatoride for chuck) and suggested to head down as it was getting dense with follage. All in all, I can say I was quite proud of Chuck. He did a great job of hiking this with one working lung and an artifical hip. The last 1/2 mile took a toll on him, but like the macho man he is...he made it!! (With his little wife tagging behind!!)

1 Comments:

At Wednesday, August 02, 2006 6:45:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy we thought we were crazy hiking 2 miles in 98 degress Saturday for a cache! But you 2 are even crazier!!!! You had a beautiful view all we had was scrub brush. Keep having fun! Love Ya guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home